Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Uhh Oo, The Giants Are Here!

Don't be scared these giants won't hurt you.  They're actually here to help!  The Roadway Giants first began in 1913 when the Lincoln Highway was put into full effect.  These giant structures were created to pull in travelers that were driving back and forth past local businesses and stores.  Check out this guy located by the Westmoreland Chamber of Commerce building right off of Route 30...

(1920s Packard Car with Driver)

Pretty cool, huh?  Check out the 1940s Bennett Gas Pump and the Bicycle Built for Two at http://www.lhhc.org/giants.asp.  Visit this site to find out where all of the local giants are hiding!

2 comments:

  1. I pass the giant gas pump all the time when I visit my parents. I was always curious as to the backstory. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so welcome! I had no idea either, but I think they are so cool.. I want to drive around and see the other structures they built. Have you seen any of the others?

    ReplyDelete